close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.



A Certificate of Title is required for all motorboats in Nebraska, with the  following exceptions:

  • Any motorboat manufactured prior to November 1, 1972;
  • Any motorboat owned by the United States or any agency or political subdivision;
  • Any motorboat owned by the State of Nebraska or any agency or political subdivision;

No person shall sell a motorboat without delivering to the purchaser a properly assigned Certificate of Title or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO).

Federal Law requires all boats manufactured after November 1, 1972 to display a  12 character Hull Identification Number (HIN).  If a boat does not, the  owner must fill out an Assigned ID Number Application.  This application must be filed with  the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles prior to titling a boat.

To obtain a Certificate of Title the applicant must be a resident of  Nebraska and submit a completed Application for Certificate of Title signed by all parties whose names are  to appear on the title.  In addition, a fee of $10.00 and proper evidence of ownership must accompany the Application for Title.

Nebraska motorboat registrations are issued for a three-year period.   The motorboat must be registered in the boater's county of residence.

Questions regarding boating guidelines may be addressed to: